Here’s to 50 Years More
Tomorrow, June 15th, Andy and I will celebrate our 5th year of wedded bliss. Ok, so bliss may be not be the word, but we have had 5 years of adventure, love, laughter, tears, more laughter, happiness, and lots of moving boxes. We have added a precious dog and cat that eats his weight in treats, friends from all over the country, many addresses and lots of dreams for the future.
Marriage has not been easy but it has been the most rewarding part of my life so far. Andy and I have been through more in our first five years than a couple can experience in the first 20 but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I hope we have 50 more together.
Here are 10 lessons I have learned from being married, especially to Andy, I hope they help you too:
1. Leaving your shoes out in the middle of the room can cause your spouse to trip on them, and then causing them to get mad. Putting them away makes it safe for everyone!
2. You have to compromise on what is hung on the wall. Just because you don’t think a bat and ball display is beautiful doesn’t mean your spouse doesn’t get emotional over it. Let him hang his art too.
3. Wait till you hubby takes more than one bite to ask if he loves your cooking. Keep your cooking insecurities in check till at least the 3rd or 4th bite.
4. Your spouse may get mad if you continue to watch episodes of a show you are watching together on Netflix, especially if you watch 10-12 in a row, or more than one season. He will get mad and you will hate having to re-watch the episodes (Unless it’s Community… I can’t get enough of that show).
5. Bring snacks where ever you go, mostly for you because you say mean things when you are hungry and the apology afterward is awkward because you usually have just downed lots of food in a short period of time.
6. You have to learn to share. Share food, hot water, blankets, his t-shirts (great for sleeping in, painting in, lounging in… just stay away from his favorites), money, cars, drinks, chap stick, air, space, secrets and everything you never wanted to share before.
7. No matter how much mascara you cry onto your face, a good husband says your beautiful and not crazy for you crying out all liquids you have consumed that day.
8. Sometimes you just need to pack up all your stuff, hop in a car and move across country. It will make your marriage ten times what it was.
9. Breakfast in bed is always awesome, just make sure you don’t spill the syrup in bed.
10. Strip Mario Kart is not only fun but recommended on a great date night.
Now to show you how much we love each other, or just to give you a chance to laugh at us! Enjoy…